fredlk
Expat
Expat

hoe de wereld Thailand 'ziet'

#1 Bericht door fredlk » zaterdag 26 mei 2007, 04:33

"The Nation

Opinion

Do not adjust your Net - the bizarre way the world sees Thailand

Ever since the much publicised incidents of government censorship, it has been rather enthralling, if not actually quite amusing, to sit at the Internet reading the world's comments about Thailand.

Some of the weird and wonderful perceptions foreigners have of Thailand are made even more extraordinary when they are written by folk whose most authentic Thai experience is buying noodles at their local tom yum goong take-away shop.

So, just where do many of these supposed intellectuals get their glorious ideas about Thailand? Quite obviously from the media.

Take the infamous John Mark Karr scandal last year. When he was arrested in Thailand, the foreign media were up in arms, declaring Bangkok the paedophile capital of the world. Potential perverts, on the phone booking the quickest flight to Thailand, must have been dribbling at the mouth at the prospect of naughty nymphets waiting to be had at every street corner. In a possibly related story in the aftermath of this brainwashing, I remember the news not long after of a Middle Eastern guy busted for standing half-naked while drunk outside of a primary school near Jomthien Beach doing an Arabian belly-dance and waving a Bt100 note in the air. I hasten to add however, that any such lewd and lascivious character may be just a trifle disappointed when he realises that perhaps the Western reports of such everyday activity in Thailand don't quite live up to his fiendish fantasies.

Leading on from that incident, highly qualified and knowledgeable Western reporters were quick to point out that such immoral businesses exist in Thailand because of rampant poverty. Now, I am not going to say that such inhumane activities do not exist in Thailand, but the situation is certainly nothing like what the Western media portrays. As for that poverty lark, well how do you define poverty? If you define it as lack of food, shelter, clean water and clothing, then there is very little poverty in Thailand. If you define poverty as lack of an MP3 player, a new Honda Dream and a flat-screen TV set, yes then there is a lot of poverty in Thailand. By the way, if you had no choice, what kind of poverty would you settle for, a gun-toting Los Angeles slum or a buffalo-ridden remote Isaan village?

And according to the Western media, destitute Thai families from the North and Northeast are so hard up that they are going to starve to death unless their young women go seek out some wealthy male company at a fancy tourist destination or a Ratchadaphisek massage parlour. After watching a documentary on such ordeals, male tourists are completely perplexed when they witness for themselves these girls who have been supposedly forced into prostitution, clad in brand-new designer label jeans, chatting away on their digi-camera mobiles, whilst laughing away and meticulously applying their make-up like junior-high girls. Western media forgets to point out that most girls from hard-up families have a choice. They can either engage themselves in after-dark employment or do as the majority do and find a manual job; it's just that the latter doesn't pay so well.

Working on the Internet, I am often dumbstruck at some of the questions I get asked by potential travellers to Thailand: "Steve, can I buy shampoo and toothpaste in Thailand or must I bring my own?" Or: "Excuse me Steve, if I eat on the street will I get food poisoning?" "Certainly", I reply, "and don't forget, when travelling north, the only mode of transportation is elephant".

Or how about this one I was told by a newly arrived backpacker, and I am not joking: "I heard that if I wanna score some dope I should go to the back of any police station and ask some dodgy-looking cop". Some theatrical foreign reporting of just how easy it is to buy drugs makes it seem as easy to come by as candy - just pop into any old corner shop and stock up on your favourite illegal intoxicants. Or how about drugs and the law enforcers? I have read Internet comments along the lines of this before: "If I get caught with ganja, how much should I pay the police?" Or how about this one for paranoia: "What should I do if a policeman plants drugs on me?" Well, a lot of that mentality again evolves from exaggerated foreign reporting of the cops in Thailand. Now, I am not going to say that such corrupt scenarios don't happen here, because they do, but nothing on the level such reports make it out to be.

The literature written by foreigners who have been incarcerated in Thailand is another sensationalist source of wayward information on the country. Of course if you used to be a prisoner in Thailand and want to write a book about it, your publisher needs to sell the darned story.

It is advised therefore, to just make up a few adventures. Popular tales that sell well include those of wardens with handcuffs indulging in sordid swinging sessions, dog food that is force-fed to new inmates, cunning pregnant cockroaches that'll crawl into your ears, and female pigs for hire in ways that you may not have heard of at your local petting zoo. Finally, there is apparently such an abundance of heroine readily available in Thai prisons that if you have the cash you can shoot up all day long and nobody is going to bat an eyelid. In fact, the Thai judicial system is portrayed in such a bad light in the West that if you do get arrested with a few kilos at the airport, simply plead innocent, claim it was all a set-up and that you were the victim of a brutal beating and soon enough your local media and a pompous politician will be fighting on your behalf in no time!

Besides rampant nymphets and narcotics, another extremely unpleasant element in Thailand is the horrendous Farang Mafia. According to reports, pitiable Pattaya is plagued by scores of extremely dangerous Mafia gangsters from Germany, Italy, Israel... Even Timbuktu is said to have a contingent, and of course there is always the awe-inspiring "Russian Mafia". Before you drop from fear however, let me recount the tale of the supposed Russian Mafia a few years ago. After robbing a bank, the gangsters made their getaway in an instantly bought speedboat and revved it out to sea - Koh Samui bound. Unfortunately however, the hoodlums had failed to realise that such conveyances need a tank full of petrol and thus one hour later they were paraded in front of the entire nation, caught on live television wearing nought but their Y-fronts.

And, finally, what about democracy? We have read and heard, especially from The Land of Uncle Sam, that true democracy doesn't exist in Thailand. I advise, therefore, that Thailand follow in the golden footsteps of such remarkable nations and immediately call a free and fair election. This should be an election just like the ones they have, where propaganda, money, big business and religion have no influence whatsoever on the outcome of their votes. These are wonderful lands, after all, where prostitution and drugs are hard to come by, where no sex industry exists and where no foreign gangsters can be found stalking the streets. And, of course, their citizens are all free of the burden of financial hardship.

Stephen Cleary
Suphan Buri

(Stephen Cleary is the co-founder of http://www.thai-blogs.com)"
"What we think, we become."

Jim
Volwaardig lid
Volwaardig lid

#2 Bericht door Jim » zaterdag 26 mei 2007, 07:28

> the bizarre way the world sees Thailand

or is it how the americans see thailand? ;)

hier zie je hoe ze over de rest van de wereld denken.

Afbeelding

deze is ook leuk

http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=28940

thongdee
Expat
Expat

#3 Bericht door thongdee » zaterdag 26 mei 2007, 07:48

Heb al meer gelezen van Stephen Cleary , die schrijft wel interesant , werkt voor de Nation .
คิดดี พูดดี ทำดี โลกนี้น่าอยู่
Gelukkig zijn
is niet krijgen wat we verlangen...
Maar tevreden zijn met wat we hebben...

Nimnuan
Volwaardig lid
Volwaardig lid

Re: hoe de wereld Thailand 'ziet'

#4 Bericht door Nimnuan » zaterdag 26 mei 2007, 14:02

fredlk schreef:"The Nation
By the way, if you had no choice, what kind of poverty would you settle for, a gun-toting Los Angeles slum or a buffalo-ridden remote Isaan village?
Stephen Cleary
Suphan Buri
Stephen maakt met dit soort cliches dezelfde fouten als de mensen waar hij over schrijft, maar het is wel interresant om te lezen. Het lijkt me inderdaad een amerikaanse visie op Thailand.
Johan

-- Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times --

fredlk
Expat
Expat

#5 Bericht door fredlk » zaterdag 26 mei 2007, 14:12

Nimnuan schreef:
By the way, if you had no choice, what kind of poverty would you settle for, a gun-toting Los Angeles slum or a buffalo-ridden remote Isaan village?
Stephen Cleary
Suphan Buri
Stephen maakt met dit soort cliches dezelfde fouten als de mensen waar hij over schrijft, maar het is wel interresant om te lezen. Het lijkt me inderdaad een amerikaanse visie op Thailand.
Ik snap niet echt wat je bedoelt. Bedoel je misschien dat er geen wapens zijn in Los Angeles Central of dat er geen buffels meer zijn in de Isaan?
Ik ben niet van mening dat dit een specifiek Amerkaanse visie is op Thailand. Het is ook mijn 'visie' en voor wat betreft die domme vragen, ik hoor ze ook regelmatig.
"What we think, we become."

JohanS
Volwaardig lid
Volwaardig lid

#6 Bericht door JohanS » zaterdag 26 mei 2007, 14:44

Fijn om te lezen.

Hij slaat echt wel de spijkers op de kop.
Thailand heeft met vele voorordelen af te rekenen.

Het is zeer moeilijk om een voorordeel de wereld uit te helpen.

marceziani
Volwaardig lid
Volwaardig lid
Contacteer:

#7 Bericht door marceziani » zaterdag 26 mei 2007, 15:17

Een aardig cynisch stukje over hoe kortzichtig en bekrompen sommige Westerlingen kunnen oordelen over Thailand. Ben het met JohanS eens, dat de vooroordelen over Thailand voorlopig nog niet verdwenen zijn.

Van de andere kant is het ook de perceptie van de Westerse toerist. Heb enige tijd geleden een korte discussie gehad met een collega. Zij was op vakantie geweest op Phuket en had uiteraard ook Patong en Bangla Road aangedaan. 'Ik heb wel ontzettend veel oude Westerse mannen met jonge Thaise dames daar rond zien lopen', was haar opmerking en ze was daar niet zo gecharmeerd van. Ik heb geantwoord dat ik dat wel mee vond vallen en ik was zelf reeds twee keer acht dagen op Patong verbleven, dus ik kon er zelf ook over oordelen. Maar het is maar hoe je het ziet of hoe je het wilt zien. Mocht ik al oude mannen met jonge vrouwen zien, dan stoor ik me daar totaal niet aan. Als beide daar gelukkig mee zijn, dan moeten ze dat vooral niet nalaten om samen wat tijd door te brengen. Ik let er dan ook veel minder op. Mijn collega zal zich hoogstwaarschijnlijk wel wat meer hieraan gestoord hebben. Helaas zal zij bepaalde vooroordelen dan ook bewust of onbewust in stand houden, terwijl ik ze juist probeer uit te roeien.
When people lose everything and they have nothing left to lose, they lose it.

Nimnuan
Volwaardig lid
Volwaardig lid

#8 Bericht door Nimnuan » zondag 27 mei 2007, 10:08

fredlk schreef:
Nimnuan schreef:
Stephen Cleary
Suphan Buri
Ik snap niet echt wat je bedoelt. Bedoel je misschien dat er geen wapens zijn in Los Angeles Central of dat er geen buffels meer zijn in de Isaan?
Ik ben niet van mening dat dit een specifiek Amerkaanse visie is op Thailand. Het is ook mijn 'visie' en voor wat betreft die domme vragen, ik hoor ze ook regelmatig.
Ik bedoelde dat Stephen hier mee aangeeft dat iedereen in Los Angeles met wapens loopt. Hij is hiermee net zo kort door de bocht met vooroordelen als de mensen waarover hij schrijft.
Ik ben het wel eens met de strekking van zijn verhaal.

Het zijn van die vragen en opmerkingen die ik vooral, uit eigen ervaring, bij Amerikaanse jongeren het beste kan plaatsen. Een familielid van mij werkt in een backpackerhotel in Amsterdam en krijgt ook van vooral de Amerikanen min of meer dezelfde soort vragen over Nederland.
Ik heb in mijn omgeving dit soort vragen heel weinig van andere "nationaliteiten" gehad. Ook niet in Thailand. Misschien heb je gelijk en is het niet Amerikaans, maar ik dacht dat Europeanen over het algemeen iets verder konden kijken dan hun eigen land. Maar misschien is dat mijn ijdele hoop (of vooroordeel) :oops: :wink:

Thailand heeft last van veel vooroordelen, net als elk ander land. Het is moeilijk hier tegen te vechten zolang mensen het van één kant krijgen te zien. Misschien is het een goede zaak om meer inzicht in culturen te laten krijgen op scholen?
Johan

Mystic
Volwaardig lid
Volwaardig lid

#9 Bericht door Mystic » zondag 27 mei 2007, 10:16

Vooroordelen was je niet weg, door te doen alsof bepaalde dingen niet bestaan: Oordelen ook niet, mensen zullen bepaalde dingen (willen) zien, en daar hun oordeel over geven,

Mijn vader deed 30 jaar geleden al zaken in Thailand, en ging er ieder jaar naar toe (met mijn moeder, en na een paar jaar mocht ik ook mee).
Ik heb altijd geweten, ook toen, opium kitten in het noorden, en van "de meisjes" en de katoys (mijn vaders gezicht toen 'hij het te weten' kwam tijdens een cabaret voorstelling is eentje om nooit te vergeten).

Ik ben opgegroeid met de wetenschap dat Thailand prachtig en ontwikkeld is, de enige vooroordelen die ik zelf tegen ben gekomen hebben meer te maken met de levenstandaard, en armoede, nooit met dope en prostitutie

Trouwens; er is toch ook zo'n leipe Amerikaan geweest die een boek over Nederland heeft geschreven? beetje dezelfde context; crap....... :roll:
LEVEN IS HET MEERVOUD VAN LEF

peterd1961
Volwaardig lid
Volwaardig lid

#10 Bericht door peterd1961 » zondag 27 mei 2007, 18:15

Nou mensen ik hou ook van thailand! Maar van de dingen die ik zie op bangla road wordt in onpasselijk!!!! En niet om de oudere heren met jogere dames!!! Maar heel erg hoe er met dieren omgegaan wordt! en daar hoor je nooit iemand over op dit forum! maar dat is natuurlijk niet zo belangrijk als iemand betrappen op een spelfout of je aangevallen voelen op je feminisme.

Groetjes Peter

Nimnuan
Volwaardig lid
Volwaardig lid

#11 Bericht door Nimnuan » zondag 27 mei 2007, 20:30

peterd1961 schreef:Nou mensen ik hou ook van thailand! Maar van de dingen die ik zie op bangla road wordt in onpasselijk!!!! En niet om de oudere heren met jogere dames!!! Maar heel erg hoe er met dieren omgegaan wordt! en daar hoor je nooit iemand over op dit forum! maar dat is natuurlijk niet zo belangrijk als iemand betrappen op een spelfout of je aangevallen voelen op je feminisme.

Groetjes Peter
Volgens mij zijn daar ook al enkele discussies over geweest, dus het is niet zo dat je daar niemand over hoort. Dan moet je toch de zoekfunctie gebruiken.
Johan

Plaats reactie

Terug naar “Cultuur”